Windows 7 and Virtual Machines

So since a week I changed from Windows Vista 32bit to a nice clean install of Windows
7 64bit, assuring myself to fully use the 4gb ram I have in this laptop, and of course
switching means reinstalling all software. That brought me to the point where I decided
to install the Windows
Virtual PC Beta
(and the XP mode of course).

Everything seamed to went smooth, and all my VHD’s where working as they should be
(except for the fact that I spend an hour finding my way around the new interface,
but its actually improved). However, it wouldn’t be a post worth posting if I encountered
some sort of error. One of my colleagues spend a few of his rare spare  hours
improving your existing VHD template, and since all developers kept complaining about
the lack of storage he made it an dynamically expanding disk with a total of 172GB
of space.

In the ‘old’ VPC it all worked fine, yet in the new version we got an error, telling
me to check parameters just leaving me the option “ok” and after clicking that deleting
the settings file.

First thing that came to mind was to check read/write access to the file and setting
security permissions, but both didn't work. Then we tried to shrink the volume back
to a total of 32gb, however that didn't work either.

Ending up we found a solution in creating a new ‘blank’ VHD’s, using Northon Ghost
to Copy the contents of our template to a new blank VHD, (a dynamically expanding
32gb sized disk).

Leave a Reply